About Me

My photo
SURREY, United Kingdom
Amateur and still learning!

Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Remember!

It's that time of year again when I get a little sad and maudlin when we are reminded of the sacrifices that armed forces make, even now on an almost daily basis.

A post on a forum that I subscribe to, illustrates that pictures and music combined can be a powerful combination, and this particular video more than most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Gx27jRbYo&feature=related

WW1 has had an influence on my family ever since I can remember. My father lost his dad when he was 9 years old and was left with his two sisters and mother to make their way in the world. I always found it incredible and somewhat poignant that when my father spoke of his dad it was through the eyes and memory of a nine year old boy.

My grandfather was conscripted in late 1916 and died of wounds received in action in May 1917, in Salonika in Greece. His younger daughter Vera never saw her father and at the ripe old age of 95, still has immense pride in his sacrifice.

I can only imagine what my father felt when he was conscripted into the army in 1942 leaving behind his wife and a six year old boy, luckily with a happy ending.

William Abercrombie



Battlefield Grave



War Graves Citation




Wear Your Poppy With Pride

No comments: