About Me

My photo
SURREY, United Kingdom
Amateur and still learning!

Saturday, 4 February 2012

RETURN TO TATE BRITIAN

I’ve been thinking that it was about time I went out with the camera once again, so last Thursday, in spite of the sub-zero temperature, I ventured forth. My earlier trip to Tate Britain had left a lasting impression, and I had promised myself a return visit at some stage. So only being a short walk across Vauxhall Bridge from the underground/overground station I decided that was where I was going.
What another satisfying two or three hours it turned out to be, both culturally and photographically.

I expected to see mainly the same exhibits as last time but apparently things are removed and replaced on a regular basis. The main halls were taken up by large statues of Hares by Barry Flanagan. The main stairwell has been painted in rectangular blocks of bright colours from floor to ceiling, three floors, which I found very appealing and fertile ground for abstractions of images that hung together.

 Don McCullin’s exhibition of strong B+W images is still in situ and a panel of David Bailey’s 60’s images have been added in another room.

 Being a ‘people’ photographer I find myself looking more at the visitors than the exhibits, but on this occasion the relationship between the visitors and the exhibits, not a new slant on pictures taken in galleries I hasten to add, took my eye. This time there were occasions where an apparent disinterest between a dynamic exhibit and the viewing public existed, hence the title Weeee look at Meeee! formed in my head.

WEEEEEEEE LOOK AT MEEEEE!

COLOUR EXTRACT

PERFORMING HARE

LADY AND BOY AT THE WINDOW
 I shall certainly make the place a regular date on my calendar from now on.

1 comment:

Andrew Brown said...

And that is what you do so well Alan.

Something as simple a a trip to the Tate becomes an enjoyable read for the rest of us - with great gallery to boot!